Monday, January 04, 2010

I Love Being a Mama

These past six months have been really fun (some of the time). The community group that we had led and hosted for 2 years ended in May, and so did our responsibilities as leaders in our Sunday fellowship. So, we have been floating.

I generally hate floating. Floating is LAME. And as much as I do crave a new sense of belonging at my church (since we are not currently in a community group and have been loosley attending a new fellowship), I have been enjoying a part of this floating thing. I like the part where I get to be a Mama. I think that I was so caught up in doing things, planning things, meeting with people, cleaning my house for CG or for a leadership meeting, that I started not liking being a Mama. Or, I was just craving for the day when I could do all these things that I really care about, like hanging out with refugees and stuff.

I think over the past few months I have sunk my roots deep in my house, and deep in my girls. And overall, right now, I really just want to be a Mama. I mean, please, I want a minute to get my hair cut and a pedicure. I'll keep my weekends away with girlfriends, my night out with the my crazy Bunco playing neighbors, and a fun birthday dinner out with my mommy friends. Oh yea, and time with Dave too! But, I am not craving time for planning the next church retreat, or time to see the refugees like I used to.

There is a part of me that has realised I will not have my girls forever, and that I need not wish this time away. There is also a part of me that realised that staying home with my girls is a valuable thing that should not be wished away. It is just as honoring and pleasing to God as anything else that anyone else does. I don't get minus points for not visiting refugees! And it sure is a lot more peaceful when I am content serving my family. Soon enough my girls will be older and I will have more time to do more of the things that I want to do, but right now I am taking great pleasure in being with them. I LOVE reading to them. I could sit all morning and read book after book. I love listening to them play together (and fight) while I do something else around the house. I love figuring out how to teach them new things, and helping them discover about life and God.

Right now I am really thankful for the time I have with them. One day it will not be like this, which is probably good, but I am trying to enjoy everyday that I have with them. Yea for Mamas!

3 comments:

Christy said...

And you have such darling girls to love.

M & M said...

I am reassessing my list of "must-dos" (which I knew I needed to do for a while) so that I can have more time with David and other folks when they want to get together on a whim.
I am so thankful to Michael for this time at home with D!

Brea said...

Amen!