Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Cooking...


We have been busy! One of these days I will post about all our happenings over the last 6 weeks, but until then I thought I would post about my cooking spree.

Last week Annelise and I made a trek to the Farmer's Market to pick up some yummy fruit and veggies. We bought so much stuff that it took me a couple days to get it all in the fridge, I had to cook a bunch of it first! Here is a list (I am sure you are SO interested):

onions
potatos
tomatoes
avocados
serrano peppers
poblano peppers
red bell peppers
garlic
sweet potatoes
green beans
spinach
carrots
broccoli
cilantro
basil
green onions
leeks
celery
butternut squash
zucchini
rosemary
shitake mushrooms

I spent $70. After we shopped I started too cook, yea! Zucchini rosemary soup, red pepper soup, pumpkin soup, spinach mascarpone soup. I made some beans (in the crock pot which worked great-cooked on high for 3 hours and they were ready) and then made some chicken chili, turkey chili, turkey meatballs (which didn't turn out that well).

I love cooking and Hadleigh has been a great little helper. She loves to smell everything!

Here is the new kick...over the weekend I met a dietician who told me all about high fructose corn syrup, just what a mama wants to hear about! Upon hearing about it I did what any relatively psycho mama would, run home and check the lables on every piece of food in the house! I knew that the yogurt I had been feeding HC had the syrup in it, but wasn't sure about the other things in my cabinet. Fortunately I did not have a lot with the syrup in it, only a couple granola bars which have been sitting in the cabinet for several months (since I have been making my own granola bars...yummy), and maple syrup (shocker) and then the yogurt. The dietician gave me a couple ideas about how to incorporate yogurt without the syrup...unless someone knows a kind that doesn't have it...she suggested buying plain yogurt and adding jelly (that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup). I did that yesterday and the girls LOVED it. I used to make my own yogurt, but it is so easy to just buy the little containers...ah well...this is almost as easy and a bit more healthy.

I have also been a little lazy about cooking, and have been using a little more red meat than I usually like to eat. It is hard because there are just some things that are better with beef (meatballs), etc. So if anyone has a yummy recipe for meatballs without beef feel free to pass them along.

OK, Annelise is up and needs some attention...happy thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Brea said...

Hey, I'm just catching up. I'll post on my own blog again one of these days! Dannon All Natural has sugar, rather than aspartame or HFCS, and we really like it! You can buy it in a large tub so it's cheaper than buying the little cups.