Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Freezer

A couple weeks ago our brand new Kitchenaide refrigerator bit the dust. It was actually a complete nightmare. It died on Saturday (of course) and by Monday morning both sides were basically 65 degrees. Naturally I could only call the repairman on Monday, so by the time we could call we had basically lost everything. Long story short, by Wednesday we had a fully operating refrigerator (they had to order a new compressor) again. We tried for a couple days to keep things in coolers on ice, but then it just became painful (try doing that for 5 days). Dave was so irritated by the whole situation that he ran out and bought a small 5.5 deep freezer so we could save a few things (very few by the time he bought it). I was thankful for the freezer for an entirely different reason.

I had been wanting a deep freezer, but was just sure Dave would not allow it. He hates my innate pack-rat nature and tries to discourage it as much as possible. I knew he would be worried that if I had a big freezer I would begin to horde food that we would fail to use.

In any case, we now have a freezer and I am SO excited! I have been wanting to freeze meals, but was limited by space before. For the last couple weeks I have been cooking up a storm and freezing a bunch.

OK, true confessions, I LOVE cooking. It is one of my favorite things to do. We might not have a clean house, but we eat well, yummy, healthy, homemade meals. I love it! And the truth is if I can buy some things in bulk or when they are on sale I can watch our budget.
Dave works 4 long days during the week and he does not get a lunch break, so he packs his lunch and eats whenever he gets a minute. We have an obsession with soups which was fueled by our time in Europe. I had been getting him canned soup for his lunch which has been fast and easy for all of us. Unfortunately those cans are just filled to the brim with sodium. I bought him the new V8 Campbell's soups and his comment was, "they taste really salty, and aren't as good as your butternut squash soup." After I heard that I went to work. I made several big batches of some of our favorite soups, Lamb and Barley, Red Bell Pepper, Butternut Squash, Asparagas, and Mushroom and Barley. It was so fun to cook all day. I even made my own vegetable broth. Upon finishing I froze small 2 cup portions and labeled them all. Fun!

Since I have been in the mood I have also made mac and cheese, spaghetti, sloppy joes, chicken chili and chicken pot pie. Now I have several homemade yummy meals that I can just throw in the crock pot or microwave.

4 comments:

Craig and Gwen said...

Where did you get the freezer? If you don't mind me asking what is the price range?

Also - loved the apple peeler and need to return it!

M & M said...

what would I ever do without our deep freeze--in fact for a while, we had 3 of them (one was a freecycle find--)?

The only tricky problem is as you say when you have no power for any length of time...you lose it all. I am so thankful during the hurricane to have had our generator. 15 days would have been too much for the freezer to handle! :)

Anonymous said...

how fun ami!! this makes me want to store a bunch of stuff in my fridge...i need some of those recipes, we'll have to talk! i love making homemade lunches for work! and your freezer organization makes me happy.

Brea said...

That's it, I want one, too! Hey, still up for mass meal prep?