Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Undomestic Devil?


I have done some reading recently which has been fun. I feel like I took a break from reading while we moved and transitioned, and now I am back to it.

Two of my fun recent reads were The Devil Wears Prada and The Undomestic Goddess. Both were hilariously funny, and actually had similar themes. I'll have to say that I was really excited to read the Devil book, and then to watch the flick (which recently won a Golden Globe). Overall I was a little disappointed with how the book resolved, and the movie was just OK. If you have the choice, choose the book over the movie. The Devil is about a recent college grad, Andy, who desires to be a writer for the New Yorker, but in desperation takes a job as the second assistant for Miranda Priestly, editor-in-chief of Runway magazine, the top fashion mag in the country. The deal is that if Andy works for Miranda for a year and doesn't get fired, she will be able to get a top job anywhere (specifically at the New Yorker). The problem is that Andy essentially gives her life away, as working for Miranda requires being on call at every minute. After surviving almost a year and essentially losing almost everything she finally tells Miranda where to stuff it. In my opinion it wasn't soon enough.

The Goddess book was a lot of fun. This book follows Samantha, top lawyer at the largest firm in England. She is about to make partner when she royally fouls up a job and is fired. In a drunken stupor she winds up in a little English town in the country and interviews for the job of housekeeper and cook (of which she knows nothing). The rest of the book is devoted to her foibles of learning how to cook and clean, and leaving behind the fast paced life of work and "success".


Both were interesting and fun reads, and both seemed to comment on the rat race of the "civilized" western world. I will mention that both books are a bit crude, but if you enjoy a fun read like Bridgett Jones' Diary, then you will enjoy these books.


I am currently reading Presbyterian Creeds, yea, I know a completely different genre. I will write more on that when I have finished it. I think the title is kind of humorous. The title leads you to believe that these creeds are written by Presbyterians or something to that nature, but the book looks at the historic creeds that have shaped the theology of Reformers, specifically those who are Presbyterians.
To comment on the picture above, it obviously has no connection with the post. Hadleigh and I went to Piedmont a couple weeks ago to play some football. HC was a little irritated that I wouldn't let her play. She was showing me that she does have a game face.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

So fun! I just finished listening to the Devil Wears Prada. I downloaded it from the library and listened to it while I was walking. That got me walking EVERY day!