Monday, February 20, 2006

Cubby and Stress


This past Thursday the docs became a little concerned about how Cubby and I would handle the labor process. To be on the safe side they ordered a Contraction Stress Test. I was basically told to pack my bags and come to the hospital on Saturday ready to take a baby home. Friday I madly cleaned the house, packed our bags, paid the bills and got ready for our big trip to the hospital on Saturday.

Dave and I arrived at the hospital early Saturday morning and checked in. It was a fun adventure answering all the crazy questions, especially since the nurse didn't speak English and we didn't speak German. We had a little phrase book and it was fun to learn how to say "How often do you have a bowel movement?" We kept the book and now continue to ask each other about things like flatulence and other silly things relating to the body.

At 10 we were taken to labor and delivery and I was hooked up to a fetal monitor that watches for contractions and the baby's heart beat. I was also hooked up to a machine that slowly gave me pitocin. For 2 hours they monitored Cubby's heart while I had contractions. It was pretty fun actually, because Cubby was passing the test with flying colors, she has a strong little heart, and I was able to get a little taste of labor. I will have to say it wasn't bad at all...it was nothing like the pre-term labor contractions I had in the fall. Dave got a kick out of watching the machine and telling me to breathe.

After the test I spent the night in the hospital so they could continue to monitor me (and because Germans like you to spend the night even with a broken pinky finger). We thought the test might kick start the labor process since Cubby has dropped and we are only 10 days or so away from her due date. But she apparently is not ready, so we will wait a little longer for her to make an appearance.

The good thing is that we are now ready. Our bags are packed, the car seat is hooked in, and we are ready for our little girl to come. I have been coaching her all along, and she knows that she has a 2 week window that I want her to come in. ANytime from February 22-March 8. But I have been asking her not to come before or after those dates. I think that the reason she didn't come on Saturday was because she knew it was only February 18 and not quite time. She is already showing great sings of obedience! =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so cute! I can't wait to hear all about your delivery! I'll be praying that it goes well! Be blessed! Love you!
ash

jessrings said...

Wow!! You're getting big! It's sort of weird to see you that way, but so cool at the same time. I'm so excited for you guys!!