Friday, June 10, 2011

Victory Garden

We have a victory garden!  This is our third year with a vegetable garden and it looks like it is going to be a great year.  I am so thankful that we started this three years ago, and we have gotten a lot of practice and experience over the last couple of years.  We started small and keep growing it, so it has fun to see the garden evolve.

Dave and I read several gardening books this year and decided we wanted to give the square foot gardening method a try.  So far, so good.  I am still not exactly sure where my cucumbers and zucchinis are going to grow, but we will see how it all plays out.  We also decided to move the garden, so it now sits right outside our kitchen door.  This is a nice location for watering purposes, and it also helps me to remember to check for veggies and bugs that might kill the veggies!

Our neighbor had a bunch of granite stone sitting in his side yard, so Dave went and asked them if we could haul some away for them, and they agreed!  Insane!  So our garden is made out of granite and it looks lovely.  My only complaint is that I think we barely get 6 hours in its current location, so it seemed to take the veggies a little longer to get started, but now they all look great, and we haven't had to put any pesticides on it yet (of course we have organic pesticides).

We planted most everything from seeds, except those dern tomatoes.  I just cannot seem to grow a tomato from a seed.  We also bought the sweet potatoes, but I think next year I will grow those from seeds.

This year we have enjoyed spinach, which is already past its prime, romaine (and I am so happy with this variation).  We also planted basil, and have a huge rosemary bush in the front yard.  Yum!

Tri-colored Bush Beans (purple, yellow and green)



Edamame


Zucchini


Sugar Snap Peas (Holy Moly)


Red and Yellow Cherry Tomatoes


Beef Steak


Roma


Jalapenos and Tri-Colored Bell Peppers (yellow, orange and red)


Lemon Cucumbers and Persian Baby Cucumbers


Pumpkins and Sweet Potatoes


Poppies

2 comments:

M & M said...

rather jealous! but in houston it takes so much water and shade (since sun is so intense) that I gave up after my first two years of trying. perhaps will try again later...

Ashleigh said...

Wowza!! Your garden is amazing!! I wish we were neighbors!!