Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Psalm 86:10-12

You are Great
and do marvelous deeds
You alone are God
Teach me your ways O Lord
And I will walk in your truth
Give me an undivided heart
That I may fear your name
I will praise you O Lord, my God
I will glorify your name forever


One Sunday this past summer this was our call to worship. After we read it in worship I decided to memorize it with the girls. I just love this passage of scripture. This summer I was also really struggling with teaching Hadleigh to pray. That is not really something you want to ram down your children's throat, but I also thought I should encourage her. She is sometimes timid about things, and especially when it involves talking in front of people, so then I had a great idea...to use sscripture to teach her to pray. That gives her words that she already knows to use as a prayer. And wow, what better teacher than God's word itself. So at bedtime and then at random meal times or during the day I would pray the above passage. And finally I convinced her to begin saying the passage with me as a prayer. This evening as I was tucking the girls into bed Hadleigh exclaimed that it was her turn to pray and she prayed Psalm 86.10-12. Annelise repeated along with Hadleigh, because Annelise cannot be left out of anything! It was so sweet.

I think I am going to start looking for more passages like this one that we can all learn together and pray as a family, but for now, it is Psalm 86.10-12 and I cannot think of a better prayer to have at this point.

1 comment:

M & M said...

Fantastic! I take such encouragement and motivation in reading your blog and hope I can raise my little one(s) as intentionally as you have!