Monday, November 13, 2006

Transitions

Welcome to life, right? Martin Luther said "All of life is repentance." I love that and quote it a lot. However, my theme recently is "All of life is transition." Isn't it true? Just when I get settled into something all of life changes. I get married, move to Germany, get a new job, quit a job, have a baby, move back to the states, etc. And the list continues. As we were preparing to move I kept thinking if I could just get to the next step I would be happy. Once the movers come, once we move into the Lagerhof, once we get to the states, once we find a house, once our stuff arrives, once Dave finds a job, once our stuff is unpacked, once we find friends...

My life is full of transitions, somce good and some poo in a can. All of this is good discipline. How often do I think I am in control and if I can just get to the next step I will be fine. But coming back here reminds me again that even when I get there I won't be happy. That makes the transition easier and harder.

We are moved and settled which is such a joy. I generally can make it through the day without wondering which box my brush is in. But while in some ways it feels like we never left this place, in other ways it feels like I never lived here. It is just like almost belonging, but not quite. I kind of know my way around, but not quite. I kind of have friends, but not quite.

I am taking baby steps, and know that these things take time. I know that sooner than later I will be feeling settled. It is kind of fun to be at this point. Every night Dave and I wonder what our next adventure will be. Where will we fit? Who will our friends be? Where will we serve and be served? And then there is always our wonderful little Miss Hadleigh Claire. Life is much more full with her around.

One of our favorite thing about being back here is having the nations at our door step. We live in a community that is almost entirely made up of Hispanics and Asians. I love that, and it will be interesting to see what part that plays into our transition back here. I am probably like many stay at home moms, I want my life to consist of more than cleaning the house and going to playgroups.

This has been a random post, but just some thoughts about what we are thinking through here in the crazy USA.

1 comment:

jessrings said...

I liked this post a lot because it's convicting to think about how often I live for the next step. I've been trying to live more in the moment. Be glad for what happens today. Let tomorrow be surprise from God. But I hate surprises as you know so this is new. But that's how it was in Kenya and was able to relax and enjoy. It is a good thing1