Monday, January 11, 2010

Books for 2009 and 2010

I must admit that I am probably not going to be able to list all the books I read this year, because I simply cannot remember some of the things I have read. For example I know I read "Cocktails for Three" by Sophie Kinsella, and I know I read a couple other boks of hers, but cannot remember the titles. Ah well. In any case, here are some of the books I read this past year in no particular order. I'll only comment on a few of them.

2009

Prince Caspian
CS Lewis

The Prodigal God
Tim Keller
I enjoy Keller so much and can read anything he has written and will listen to any sermon he has preached. I love his Bible studies and have done most of them. Of all current theologians, he is my absolute fav.

Total Money Makeover
Dave Ramsey
I LOVE Dave Ramsey. I wish I knew about him when we lived in Germany and were getting out of debt. We have been debt free (besides the house) for 2 years which has been awesome. I used his method of envelopes before I knew about him and even on a tiny budget we were able to pay off thousands of dollars. I love not being bound to financing every little thing, and the freedom that comes from not having a bunch of bills. I look forward to the day when we pay off our home, which we hope to do in the next 15 years.

Don't Make Me Count to Three
Ginger Plowman
Best parenting book I have read to date.

Remember Me? and Cocktails for Three
Sophie Kinsella

Cost of Discipleship
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Hard stuff...good stuff.

My Hands Came Away Red
Lisa McKay

The Well Trained Mind
Susan Wise Bauer
Love her, love this book, and plan to read more of her this year.

Heaven
Randy Alcorn

Wild Swans
Jung Chang

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Soctiey
Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Prob my fav fiction of the year. Very fun read.

Making Small Groups Work
Cloud and Townsend

Family Worship: In the Bible, in History, and in Your Home
Donald Whitney
Eh...not so much...if you want to read it borrow it from me.

Nurture By Nature: How to Raise Happy, Healthy, Responsible Children throught the Insights of Personality
Paul Tieger

Motherstyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
Janet Penley and Diane Eble

The Unlikely Spy
Daniel Silva

Read with the Girls

Little House on the Prairie
Laura Ingalls Wilder

Milly Molly Mandy
Joyce Lankester Brisley

Winnie the Pooh and The House on Pooh Corner
AA Milne

Mary Poppins
PL Travers


2010

Animal, Vegtable, Miracle
Kingsolver

Hidden Art of Homemaking (need to finish)
Edith Schaffer

The Well Educated Mind
Susan Wise Bauer

The Unfolding Mystery of Christ (need to finish)
Ed Clowney

Case for Civility
Os Guiness

What is a Family
Edith Schaffer

Unfashionable
Tullian Tchividjian

Counterfeit Gods
Tim Keller

Something by Charlotte Mason

The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading
Jessie Wise

Praying the Scriptures for Your Children
Jodie Berndt

A Year with Your Children in the Bible
Jim Cromarty

With the Children on Sundays
Sylvanus Stall

Julie and Julia
Julie Powell

My Life in France
Julia Child


Read with the Girls

Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little and Trumpet of the Swan
EB White

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
L. Frank Baum

Wind in the Willows
Kenneth Grahame

The Story of Dr. Doolittle
Hugh Lofting

Just So Stories
Rudyard Kipling

3 comments:

M & M said...

your list for 2010 is already really long! I go through phases and have not read in a while. I have a really hard time reading at night because I collapse into bed and fall right asleep. Morning is too busy and afternoon is my only chance to get everything else done! Ah for the days of nursing. The time will come again...

Christy said...

Wow. One day I shall have a long list of awesome books I have read instead of listing all the Seinfeld quotes I know. :-)

Nathan Smith said...

Totally agree on the Dave Ramsey book! We read it this past year and loved it, he is very inspiring and really makes you think you can do it. We are working on saving up a down payment so we can get a house sometime in the future. That is fun to see that you liked the potato peel book, it kept coming up in lists that I saw and it looked interesting, just never picked it up.