Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Uncle Sam Helps with Projects


I have been promising this update for several weeks. In December we were working on several projects and we are getting them finished...SLOWLY, but getting them finished nonetheless. And we actually are getting a little help from Uncle Sam...well, that might be not exactly true...what is really happening is Uncle Sam is giving us back a bunch of our money that we lent to him for several months. At the end of November I got an note from our CPA noting that we had "grossly" overpaid our taxes this year. And when she said grossly, she was not kidding! I know how it happened, I mean this is our first full year of Dave working as a contractor and I just did not know what tax bracket we were going to end up in...and for some reason our CPA did not notice the discrepancy until November!
Ah well, we will have to wait a couple more weeks to see exactly how much we overpaid. In the meantime we decided to take advantage of desperate furniture dealers. We bought new furniture for our family room, which includes a couch, love seat, two chairs, an ottoman, two end tables and a coffee table. As I type all that I am thinking that it sounds like a LOT of furniture, and it is! It does help that we bought it at an under priced furniture store, and not Bassett, or Pottery Barn or...sigh...Restoration Hardware. We decided cheaper at this stage of life is better...I don't want to cry when HC or A pukes on the couch!
So, we have entered a whole new world of adulthood. This is the first time I have purchased new furniture in my life. It feels a bit weird, and old and permanent, but good at the same time. I actually have furniture that matches, odd! Now I am on a mission to make new curtains and pillows!
We have moved the crazy prego loveseat and two blue chairs up into the living room (which is now almost finished), and the brown couch is now in the man room which is Dave's next project. For now we are watching TV on a couch, which we have been waiting for 8 months to do! Oh yea, here is a pic of our new TV screen...guess what Dave got for Christmas? Thanks craigslist!!!

1 comment:

M & M said...

The house looks great!
you will have to tell us how you like the projector. Michael swears that is what he wants too...
(and never thought of Craig's list)
Oh, and I still have never bought furniture brand new...we are getting there though with the next couch we get, I think. We have gotten plenty but through thrift stores (I have recovered) or whatnots. Still not an adult, I know.