Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Asparagus Ravioli

Years ago I bought this fab cookbook called "Vegetarian Pasta" and it definitely has some winner recipes in it.  One of our favs is Lentil Coriander Lasagna.  Lentils, mushrooms, cilantro.  Yumm-o.  I love making up several of those lasagnas at a time and throw them into the freezer.  Then a month later, voila!  I don't even have to think, I just put it in the oven and an hour later we have a yummy dinner.

My second all-time fav recipe from this book is Asparagus Ravioli.  I have made this recipe with homemade pasta, but not recently.  I discovered this wonderful little thing called wonton wrappers.  You can buy them in the store pre-made and it is almost as good as homemade pasta.  That is what I use now when I make ravioli.  And surprisingly it is fairly easy recipe to make...come on, I have 3 kiddos and not a lot of time, it has to be easy!

1/2 lb asparagus, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 Tbs. olive oil

This is where my food processor comes in handy.  I chop the asparagus and the onion separately.  Heat the oil in a fry pan.  Throw in the garlic and onion, let it cook for 3 minutes.  Throw in the asparagus and cook for 10 more minutes.  Can you smell it?  OK, put the pan aside and let it cool.

Sauce
2 Tbs. butter
1/4 c. flour
2 1/2 c warm milk
3 Tbs. tomato paste
Melt the butter in a sauce pan.  Stir in the flour and begin slowly adding the milk to make a roux.  Stir constantly over medium heat until it thickens and boils (I mean constantly).  Add the tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.  Yumm-o.  THis can be made a couple days before and stored in the fridge.

OK, now to assemble the ravioli.  Take a wonton wrapper, put a quarter size portion of the asparagus in the middle.  Use a little water to wet the edges and top with another wrapper.  Seal the edges and put it aside.  When all the raviolis are made, boil some water, and drop them in 3 or 4 at a time for just a few minutes.

That is about it.  Enjoy it!

1 comment:

M & M said...

Yum!
Have you already given us the recipe for the lasagne? That sounds really yummy too!