Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sledding

The snow did in fact make it to Georgia and the whole city of Atlanta has shut down.  I know, you Northerners think this is silly, a lot of drama for 4 or so inches of snow.  The only thing I have to say is if you lived down here, you would seriously WANT people to stay off the roads (they are insane).  So we (Dave included) enjoyed sledding with the kids in our neighborhood, and hot chocolate and games, and chili and the only thing that would have made everything even more festive would have been a fire in our fireplace...alas our fireplace is unsafe, so until we decide to fix it there will be no fires here.



We shall see what tomorrow brings, it has been sleeting and icing all day and "they" say that is going to continue all night.  We might get another ice day tomorrow. =)

I did make two runs on the inner tube with HC.  I screamed the whole way, which I think everyone found mildly amusing.  I am trying to remember the last time I was on a sled and it must have been in college, wow.  My most vivid memory of sledding was when I lived in New Jersey, it must have been our last winter there, so I am guessing I was 4, it is somewhat bizarre to think that a long time ago I was the same age as my oldest child.  We were out sledding with our neighbors, and we were using one of those old wooden sleds.  To steer it you had to use your feet, I guess.  Anyway, somehow I ended up going down the hill alone (not sure whose idea this was...probably Dad's).  I do not remember if I was sitting up, or laying on my stomach, but whatever way I was I was not strong enough to steer the sled.  I started to veer off the hill toward a clump of trees and everyone was yelling at me to roll off the sled.  Well, I have no idea how fast I was really going, but in my four-year-old mind I was going faster than the speed of light, and there was NO way in "H" I was rolling off that sled.  So I hung on, and crashed into a tree.  And now that I think about it, I must have been going just under the speed of light, because the crash did not knock me off the sled.  I was fine, and am here to tell the story.

Trees were not the primary concern on our sledding rides.  Actually my primary concern was the drain ditches.  For some reason they are ridiculously large here in Atlanta.  I sometimes feel nervous that I slip into the great abyss, but my hips would probably prevent me from going all the way down.  However I am convinced that a small child could in fact fall down one.  My neighbor and I promptly covered the openings so that no small children would accidentally slip down one of them.  Thank goodness.

No comments: